Should I be concerned about wear on my halyards using ascenders (with I believe geared pinch mechanisms)?

For a safely line I know I could use a dynamic rope tied to a halyard and hauled up to the top of the mast - but it seems that extra knot brings another failure point we'd prefer to avoid.

Plus - if you are climbing alone (nobody is taking up the slack in the safety rope) - then I'd guess you need a 3rd ascender for the safety line.

If things go wrong how to you lower yourself with that safety line?

Guess I should read up more on ascenders!

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana

On 2017-03-17 5:05 PM, Steve Thomas via CnC-List wrote:
All,
       I have been following this discussion with interest since I just
returned to my southern project boat with a so-far unused ATN Top Climber, and
intend to use it in the next couple of days. I have taken note in particular to
the idea of using a loop(s) to stay at the mast. The designer of the device
however, has at least in the past, suggested securing the static line away from
the mast because it makes the climb easier. I have not tried it either way, but
I like the sound of staying at the mast better. Anyone have comments on this
aspect of using the ATN climbing gear? Obviously the boat would have to be
pretty steady.

On a separate note regarding fall arrest. I had a conversation one time with an
accomplished ice climber and asked him what type of line he preferred, nylon or
low stretch. He seemed to think that I was a complete idiot for even asking the
question, and maybe I was. Anyway, just to save anyone else who has not thought
it through from similar embarrassment or injury, you definitely want any line
that might arrest a fall to be stretchy. Nylon in other words.

I plan therefore to use polyester for the static line, and nylon for any safety
fall arrest  lines.

Steve Thomas
C&C36
Merritt Island, FL

---- Joe Della Barba via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/images/upmast.jpg

  Working on a topping lift in the Gulf Stream. If you are climbing underway,
MAKE SURE you have a loop to hold you near the mast. It does not look rough in
that photo, but the swells at 55 feet up were enough to make it hard to hang
on, and if you get loose you will hit one or more things pretty hard.

Joe Della Barba

j...@dellabarba.com <mailto:j...@dellabarba.com>

Coquina