Mark,

You won't have dynamic falls (one would hope) when climbing the mast. Dynamic
falls happen when you are climbing and leading (the lead regularly is above the
least piton or nut and if you fall you drop the double that distance). When you
are climbing the mast, all your falls would be static - if you main gear fails,
you would simply hang on the safety line. If you have someone helping, that
person would take the slack of the safety line. If you are solo, you would move
your attachment point (the Prusik's knot; the 3rd ascender) up as you are
climbing. The safety line (and attachment should be almost tight (not too
tight, you want the freedom of movement).

So in short - leave the dynamic ropes to the climbers; use the static ropes
(lines) that we all have on the mast.

Unless you are climbing the mast on a regular basis. You should not damage the
halyard. There are different kinds of ascenders (like there are different kinds
of clutches); some are gentle on the rope, others not so much. However, most of
the ascenders are designed to be used regularly on the rope, so they should not
make any significant damage to the halyard.

One other thing, if you never tried it before, train for it like with anything
else. I would not suggest that the trip straight to the top of the mast is the
best thing to do on the first try. And if you try it first, think  not only how
you are going to go up, but also how you are planning to come down (the latter
might be more tricky).

Good luck

Marek