*Rule 3 - General Definitions* [image: Return to the top of the page]
<https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#top>
For the purpose of these Rules [* and 33 CFR ยง83-90 *], except where the
context otherwise requires:

(a) The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft, including
non-displacement craft, WIG craft, and seaplanes, used or capable of being
used as a means of transportation on water.

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by machinery.

(c) The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided that
propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used.

(*d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with
nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict
maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines
or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.*

--
Joel
301 541 8551