Chris,

Before I closed my marine repair business couple years ago, I routinely
made hand crimp lifelines. They're OK.  I have them on Touche'.  They don't
have that really nice professional look of a machine swaged lifeline.

I used a tool like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Marine-Lifeline-NO-15-Hand-Crimper-Tool-/162610511560?hash=item25dc577ec8:g:fWIAAOSwQVZZfSAr

A word of caution on buying a used crimper.  If the tool has been used a
lot, the tolerances may be so loose that you don't get a proper crimp.

They don't have that really nice professional look of a machine swaged
lifeline.

There are a few tricks.  You must measure fairly accurately.  You need to
really plan out the configuration with enough adjusters and/or turnbuckles
to make it fit with adequate tension, etc.

If you don't rotate the crimper 180 between crimps, the fitting will have a
slight curve to it.

My advice is to price out hand crimp vs machine crimp lifelines.  If the
difference isn't totally painful, go with the machine crimp.  The
appearance may be a factor to a discerning buyer when you sell the boat.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA