Fred,

I think that if you kept your boat only on the waters of the Great Lakes, you could get away without state registration.  As soon as you put into port however, you just entered State controlled waterways.  I guess you could anchor offshore and go into port with a registered dingy but that might be iffy.

Michigan State boundaries go all the way to mid lake on Lake Michigan but the federal jurisdiction may end at the shoreline. Not sure on that.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028
"Grace"
White Lake Michigan