I’m aware that I have to register in the state, and have faithfully done so
since I bought my first sailboat up on Lake Superior.  But the whole argument
of displaying registration numbers on a documented vessel is something that I
don’t think is legal for a state to require, as it would (as I understand it)
then supersede the federal law on the subject.  I display a state registration
sticker on the upper corner of the transom as required by Wisconsin state law,
but I will not put state registration numbers on the bow; and I don’t think
Wisconsin can require me to do so.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis