Rivets are fairly easy to remove, particularly aluminum ones.  Just drill
the flange off and punch them through the mast.

I used rivets quite frequently to attach things to masts.  For exit plates,
aluminum rivets should work fine.

Larger stainless rivets are a different story.  Most folks don't have the
big rivet tool required to install them.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA