You can rivet them.  Mine are.  Aluminum rivets won't corrode the mast.

There really isn't a good reason not to go up to a #12 machine screw.

Of course there are epoxy materials such as JB weld in liquid or in a
stick.  I'm not sure that they would produce a lasting repair.

What about backing nuts?

Ever heard of riv-nuts?  They go in like rivets but are threaded for a
machine screw fastener.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+