I believe the rivet idea is the best approach for your situation. You aren't going to disassemble these every other year, right?

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

At 08:30 PM 5/2/2018, you wrote:
Thanks, Josh. With seven exit plates, each with four mounting holes, I can think of 28 reasons to not drill and tap each hole.

The original exit plates had six holes each (as opposed to the current four), all of which were filled with aluminum screws (held in place with epoxy) that were ground off at the surface before the mast was repainted six or seven years ago. I have no interest in undertaking that sort of job, which I believe to be unnecessary.

Backing nuts would be too difficult to hold in place to screw into given the relatively small opening of the exit plate. Not practical.

I kind of like your rivet idea, and I forgot about JB Weld. Any other thoughts out there?

---
http://www.avg.com