Hi Marek- Thanks for reminding me that I read a report that tested the urban
myth of water accumulation in an empty tank directly and found no water
accumulation in the tank over the winter.  The calculations appear to agree.  I
will still have to top up the tank at some point, but I agree there is no need
to do it now and the storing "old fuel” in the tank argument is very
persuasive.  My first day on the boat in spring is a long motor down the CT
River, so I will plan to top up before that trip.  Thanks- Dave

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 3:41 PM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Consider not adding the fuel.
>
> This is an urban myth that the condensation would add a lot of water to the
> fuel. The water in the fuel tank comes usually from the leaking fill hose
> cover. If you don’t believe it, do some calculations (;-).
>
> Depending how much you motor, if you keep topping up the tank, you may end up
> with a lot of old fuel in the tank.
>
> Many marinas don’t allow the topping up, because if you do it now, the fuel
> will expand in the spring and it would leak through the vent.
>
> of course, your boat, your choice.
>
> Marek
> Ottawa, ON

S/V Aries