I've posted this before but here it is again.  I installed an Algae-X fuel
conditioner (I think now known as AXI) as part of Touche's diesel repower
in 2003.  I have used NO additives and have had NO fuel issues since.
Having said that, Touche' has always been a fairly active boat with around
1400 hours on the diesel since the repower.  That's about 100 hours per
year or 60 gallons of diesel annually.  With an 18 gallon tank, that's a
turnover of about 3.5 tanks a year.

Here's a picture of Touche's Racor 500 series fuel filter with vacuum gauge
and Algae-X fuel conditioner installed between the tank and filter.  It's
hard piped into the filter inlet just visible to the right of the filter.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sb5TfIENvsdVl2cnd3NEJrWG8

Here's a link to info on the fuel conditioner.

http://www.diesel-fuels.com/algae-x/magnetic-fuel-conditioning.php

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Algae-X-Magnetic-Fuel-Conditioners-LG-X-Series-p-91002268.html

I know some think the fuel conditioner is smoke and mirrors or a close
cousin of the food preservation pyramid.  (
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/pyramids-and-fresh-food/).
All I can say is I haven't had any fuel issues with one installed.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA