Hi All,

I've got an old simpson lawrence sprint 1500 windlass on Rum Runner with an RC172 gypsy.  This gypsy is for 5/16” G43 HT ISO chain.  Currently I can't identify the existing chain but it certainly is the wrong size for the gypsy and the measurements don't match G4 or BBB chain.  I have 45lb CQR that came with the boat.  So, my plan currently is to go with a new chain and shackle.  I was thinking of going all chain at about 275 feet of the 5/16 G4.  This is by no means a small investment!  Defender has a 275 foot 1/2 drum for just under $800.  this is the cheapest I can find by a few hundred bucks.  the shackle will add another $100...  I may be able to save a few bucks by waiting for the spring sale.

My question is really more of search for validation.  Does this solution seem well suited for my situation.  Currently we are coastal cruisers that do a week out a couple times a summer around the cape and islands but, I do have visions of venturing further.

my only choices for a gypsy is the current one or replace that with one that takes 3/8 BBB chain. That chain is actually more expensive, heavier and has a lower working load limit.

Does all chain seem like overkill?  I could also buy a pail of 90 feet 5/16 G4 for $300.  the weight difference is about 200lbs over the 275 feet of chain.  My T40 has a displacement of 17,250lbs according to sailboat data.  the mantus website recommends 5/16 G4 chain for boats up to 40 feet and 20,000 lbs.  I know I'm nearing the limit but, I think this is the most practical solution for now. If I were to head off into the sunset, I believe I would upgrade the windlass, chain and anchor but, for now...

I'd also like to throw a word out for John over at SL Spares.  We've been emailing for a month or two figuring out exactly what I have and my options going forward.  really great service if you happen to have one of these old simpson lawence units!

--
Danny
T40