Danny,

Even with a 40’ boat, placing that much chain in a bow locker will drastically
change the balance of the boat and boat handling will be compromised.  We had
friends with a Tayana 64 that sailed beautifully upwind and downwind until they
put 250’ of chain in the bow.  Downwind the boat suffered greatly and steered
like a truck going upwind as the bow tended to plow.

Why not use a combination of chain and 8 Plait rope that will fit the gypsy on
your Windlass and save yourself considerable weight?

Most firm 8 plait rode will act just like chain in your windlass and wont
require a shackle at the chain/rope junction.  If the windlass is designed to
accommodate 5/16” chain, using 5/8” 8 Plait should be sufficiently large and
robust to allow the chain/rope to pass smoothly into your locker and will take
up far less room than a comparable length chain only rode.

Full disclosure, I work for a rope manufacturer so perhaps my preference
towards a combination rode may not be completely unbiased.  I will say that the
folks at Defender sell literally thousands and thousands of feet of both chain
and rope and given their New England locale, I don’t think its unreasonable to
take their advice given your sailing area.

Best,

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall