I wanted to report back on progress on this job.  I had sprayed the water
heater anode with PB Blaster and tried again with the same pipe wrench and
still no luck.  Then I pulled out my bigger wrench to try.  It was very
difficult to find an angle to get it on in a place I could pull on, but finally
managed and low and behold, it finally budged.  I thought I was going to pull
the whole water heater off its mount, but the threads gave first.  I was then
able to remove it iwth the smaller wrench and will replace in the spring.  So
Marek and Josh get bonus points for that suggestion if we are keeping track.

So question now is Tefgel or pipe thread compound on the new one?

I also got the end cap off the heat exchanger and as predicted, there were lots
of bits of old anode inside.  The hassle is that it appears that you can’t
install the new anode while the heat exchanger is mounted on the engine.  The
anode is too long to fit into the narrow space underneath to slide it in.  So I
am hoping that if I remove one bolt, I can rotate it enough to get the new one
in without taking everything apart.  I guess the plus of this is it will be
that much less likely to have stuck bolts if these are exercised periodically.
Thanks for the suggestions and Happy New Year.   Dave

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> I replaced my water heater last year. When it was still installed, I tried to
> remove the anode from it. I tried various options and nothing worked. When I
> removed it from the boat, I managed to unscrew it. You need the proper
> leverage. In my case the close quarters did not help. A bigger wrench or a
> stronger arm should help. But you need a good purchase in the first place.
>
> Marek
> 1994 C270 Legato
> Ottawa, ON

S/V Aries