Hi Dennis- After having problems with leaking joints of threaded home plumbing
projects, I did some reading on line about how professionals make joints
without leaks.  The overwhelming consensus was that teflon tape is useless and
that is consistent with my experience.  So I never use teflon tape for anything
anymore.  I now use only pipe thread compound on home and boat plumbing
projects and have not had any problems with leaks.  I think that makes more
sense in this case and replacing the anode more frequently than every 25 years
will probably make it easier to get the threads loose.  There is no dissimilar
metals issue with the water tank or heat exchanger to need tef-gel.

PS- I forgot to ask this- I am not sure I understand the electrical circuit of
metals in the boat case that requires these anodes.  If the water heater or
engine heat exchanger anode is completely gone, but the shaft anodes are
present, is there still a danger to metals?  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT