When I upgraded the engine on my 40 I increased the prop pitch, which made
her pull harder to port in reverse. What I would do is get some sternway on
and then put the engine in neutral and I could steer just fine. I wouldn't
worry about having the helm hard over. See if it works, there's certainly
no harm in it.
It may not be so easy on the Newport 41 as the 40 has a huge rudder, making
her a dream to handle, even at slow speeds. I did lose the bow at low
speeds coming into the dock across the wind, thanks to all the windage from
the furled headsail.

Andy

www.burtonsailing.com

Andrew Burton