The original problem reported was the Newport 41's stern wants to go to
starboard when the skipper wants it to go to Port.
If the prop is indeed Right Handed, the stern should walk to port when you give
it a short burst of throttle in reverse. Curious why that is not happening for
you. Is the prop shaft offset or on centerline?

One trick I learned when maneuvering in tight spots is never leave the shifter
in gear. Steer with rudder. I maneuver my 36 footer with short bursts of power
and shift into neutral while the boat coasts in and out of the slip, so I have
little propwalk.

I would encourage the skipper to turn his wheel to port before backing and once
he has docklines off, get the boat moving back using short bursts of power. The
keel should follow the rudder, the bow follows the keel. You can practice how
much throttle to use when you get away from the docks and traffic, somewhere
safe like next to a buoy as a reference.