From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Jim Watts via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:39 PM
To: 1 CnC List
Cc: Jim Watts
Subject: Re: Stus-List Hull windows

Some boats can look good with hull windows, and properly engineered they should
not be a strength factor in the hull.
http://www.iconsailing.com/assets/homepage/k1087.jpg
Some boats look hideous with hull windows, and look like the boat will fold on
the dotted line.
https://www.oysteryachts.com/images/yachts/46/oyster_745_75ft_yacht_at_sea_on_body_of_water.jpg
It depends...

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 05:41, Rob Ball via CnC-List
I would love to have Windows in the hull.
But, as you mention they are always Ugly.
For sure fitting them into an existing hull that was not built for it, would be
very unwise.  There needs to be careful structure changes if a window is fitted
. . . . .
I dreamed of a full length stripe that was a window set into the hull, with
occasional openings inside.  You could get the windows and a good looking boat.
Alas, pretty hard to accomplish. The differing expansion and contraction of
different materials with temperature changes, etc.
Some of the Baltic's these days have opening 'doors' in the hull.  You can
imagine the engineering that goes into something like that to make the boat
safe . . . . .
Maybe in my next life . . . . .

Rob Ball.  C&C 34