If a shore power battery charger is on continuously, things can go south in a
hurry:
Many years ago I did this and it almost ended up very badly as in a boat fire.
My float switch got stuck in the up position, which had the bilge pump running
continuously, draining the batteries.
My shore powered battery charger dutifully kept running to charge the battery
which was being drained by the bilge pump.
After x-days of charging, the Xantrex 20 (?) charger finally either overheated
or somehow blew a resistor or something up internally.
When I got to the boat, all batteries were dead. More importantly, there was a
very visible black soot spot on the outside of the charger near where whatever
blew inside was located. Fortunately, that was all that happened! However, I
also realized that if the battery charger had not died in a fail safe mode,
this overheating could have caused a fire. Whether designed that way or not, I
decided then and there that I had used up one of my boat lives.
Since then, I NEVER leave any AC powered devices on when I am not on the
boat--although I do not disconnect the shore power cord. This is probably being
over cautious since I see many boats pumping AC water out all the time or with
AC in hatches working to defeat the NC heat.
My boat and beer may be +100 degrees inside but it will still be
there--assuming that it doesn't sink at the slip for other reasons!
FWIW
Charlie Nelson1995 C&C 36 XL/kcbWater Phantom