I had to use the e tiller once on our 37+. The wheel had to be removed.
Conditions were 45+ knots of wind and significant waves during a line squall
coincidently between two major shoals. You will likely find the relatively
short tiller too short for significant leverage. Removal of the pedestal is not
practical or possible. If conditions were worse I would have had to use a line
or lines to the primary winches. My advice service your steering to specs and
try the e tiller before you need it in an emergency. If you can operate it on a
45 consider a piece of oak or something for additional leverage. Consider your
auto pilot if it’s connected by a linear drive, not a wheel drive, and the
conditions permit. If you need it once you will do anything to never need it
twice!
Len Mitchell
Crazy Legs
Midland On.