From: Edd Schillay via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 2:34 PM
To: Edd Schillay via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Edd Schillay<mailto:e...@schillay.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Emergency tiller

All,

I have not tried it yet on the current Enterprise, but on the Enterprise-A
(1978 C&C 34), we had the steering cable snap in the middle of the night on the
way to Montauk. Between the prop wash and the waves, it was very difficult to
steer, but we set up a line from the e-tiller to a block on the rail, then to a
primary winch. Made a world of difference.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Captain of the Starship Enterprise
C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B
Venice Yacht Club | Venice Island, FL

Starship Enterprise's Captain's Log<http://enterpriseb.blogspot.com/>

On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Charlie Nelson via CnC-List

My emergency tiller could not reach the hole in the top of the rudder since the
stern step with the removable plate (to access the rudder post) was offset
enough that the tiller could not reach the rudder post--finding that out when
needed would be a REAL EMERGENCY!

I had the marina redo the tiller to fit--no big deal for someone who know how
to weld SS pipe--and not too costly.

It was made just short enough to miss the wheel/pedestal--however, the lever
arm is thus pretty short. I wouldn't want to steer for long with my short
tiller on my long (36 ft) boat!

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb