From: CnC-List On Behalf Of Andrew Burton via CnC-List
Sent: 20 March, 2020 14:01
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Andrew Burton <a.burton.sai...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Emergency tiller

Sailing to Halifax from Bermuda one April on a C&C designed Baltic 51 when the
steering cable snapped in the middle of the second of the three gales we
encountered. Steered with the very short emergency tiller the rest of the way.
We hooked lines to either side and led them to winches. We got pretty good at
steering with it, though it did make for long watches.
Andy
Masquerade

Andrew Burton
26 Beacon Hill
Newport, RI
USA 02840
https://burtonsailing.com/
phone  +401 965 5260

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:53 PM Doug Mountjoy via CnC-List
I was sailing to Hawaii on a 1973 Ericsson 35. We snapped a rudder cable twice
in 24 hours, and had to use the e-tiller. Worked great, except for the compass
being mounted behind the rudder post. On that boat the binnacle is mounted
behind the rudder post.
When the first cable snapped, on my watch, we tried sailing to the chart
plotter. Too much lag to keep a course, and no reference points to keep an eye
on. We hoove to, replaced 1 cable. I asked the capt if the other cable was ok.
He said yes. Next morning on his watch that cable broke. This time in 16 ft
seas, as to the 4 ft before.
Thank God he had plenty of spare cable on board.

Doug Mountjoy
sv Rebecca Leah
C&C Landfall 39
Port Orchard yacht club