Hi Divid,
You've had the boat a while and the restrainer was probably suggested by the
sailmaker and the sails cut to reflect that, so removing it may cause new
problems.

Is the halyard chafe new?  When did it start?  I would look for something that
has changed recently.  Has the restrainer been changed recently?  I think
Schaefer makes two sizes of "fairlead style" restrainers like yours and a
pulley style also.  Maybe it got switched?  Or maybe the fastener for the cage
was replaced with a round head screw or backed out enough to cut the halyard?

I would definitely grind and wet sand and polish the cage where it is scored,
and check the pulleys for wear.  Your chafe may be from the halyard pulley?

I suffered some chafe from a sharp edge on the top of my furler section.  My
own fault.  I damaged the furler the first time I used it because I put my
genoa on and didn't realize I trapped a spin halyard in the sail as I wrapped
the genoa and then did a stupid thing.  I pulled hard on the furling line from
the cockpit, thinking it needed to be trained and then did a stupid thing and
used my winch to pull harder.   The mechnical advantage allowed me to tear the
plastic cap off the top of the furler section (bounced off the deck and into
the water) and jambed the halyard schackle into the aluminum section tearing
into that too.  Years later, I had a situation where I couldn't furl the sail,
because the halyard got caught in the furler.  I had to tension the halyard
more to raise the swivel and clear it before furling.  Later, I shortened the
halyard to remove the bad end.  Now I mark the halyard with a sharpie where it
meets the winch drum so I know it has enough tension to furl properly.

This year, the mast is out so I decided to add a halyard restrainer similar to
Josh's.

Chuck, Resolute, C&C 34R, Pasadena, Md