Halyard wraps are always caused by the angle of the halyard compared to the
headstay.  The mast head attachment for the headstay, the height of the
sheaves compared to the attachment, the "J" length of your boat, and
finally the full hoist height of your sail all contribute to whether or not
you experience wraps.  Even boats with restrainers can get wraps if they
fly a sail with a luff that was too short and the furler swivel doesn't
make it to full hoist.  A short luff can be flown but a length of cordage
needs to be added to the tack or head so as to allow the furler swivel to
be hoisted full height.  Storm sails are good examples of this situation.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD