Years ago I decided that I wanted to keep the original Beclawat portlight
frames for the larger portlights on my C&C 30 rather than having custom long
ones made. To me, their proportion looks just right on the boat. I didn’t like
the 1/8” acrylic however - not very robust for that size of port. I did what
Shawn suggests - filled the approximate 1/8” gap between the headliner and deck
with epoxy thickened with structural filler, trying to ensure that the overall
thickness was consistent around the perimeter - some shims may be needed to pry
out parts of it to achieve this. I eliminated the interior aluminum trim ring -
it is not needed with the new solid structure. I used 3/16” Lexan for the
lenses and eliminated the foam tape to make room for the extra thickness of
material. It has worked flawlessly for many years - far stronger and no leaks.
The interior look is improved as well.

Rich Klajnscek, P.Eng.
C&C 30-9 Ginkgo, Gloucester MA
C&C 39-59 Sea Fox, Hamilton, ON