FANTASTIC charter boats! We had a Privilege 39 that had 4 double-berth cabins
at 4 corners of the boat. Everyone gets their own cabin without it being a
passage between one part of the boat and another. HUGE amount of room on deck
and in the cockpit. We had 6 aboard and felt like we had plenty of space for
all and could have taken 8 no problem. They are stable at anchor, which is nice
too. The shallow draft is another fun thing, we would come into an anchorage
and get past all the anchored monohulls and anchor between them and the beach.
Twin engines is another cool thing, the boat can spin in place in her own
length – which is a good thing, the turning circle with just rudders is huge!

Well how did she sail? THAT is the C&C question and definitely a mixed bag.
First off, no steering feel whatsoever with the hydraulic steering. Absent the
rudder angle indicator I would have had no idea what was going on. “Feel”
overall is missing, we got a sheet with wind speed vs. amount to reef. We
thought it a Band-Aid for n00bs until we noticed the total lack of feel. The
other thing we learned besides the piece of paper was to reef whenever rudder
angle hit 20 degrees. Compared to a C&C it was like going from a Ferrari to
dump truck. The dump truck is a fast truck though, we were usually in the 9-12
knot range. THAT was nice 😊  We could beat the charter monos we found, even to
windward. They sail like pigs too and we at least were a fast pig close
reaching at almost twice their speed to make up for wide tacks.

Downsides:

Expensive

Good luck finding a slip for a boat 20 feet wide

Can capsize

Some will then sink, other not so much

Did I mention expensive?

Totally lacking in C&C feel

Hurricane winds can pick them up! I was glad sailing through hurricane Charlie
that other issues aside, the boat was going to stay in the water no matter what.

Did I say they cost a lot?

Now here is a big one for me – when the weather goes to crap. Our last day was
a big storm blowing up to 50 and we had a ways to get back to the charter base.
We had to head straight upwind and it was twin diesels, no way was sailing
going to work. SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM basically like driving your car off a cliff
every 45 seconds for several hours.

Note our boat was much more of a sailor than the gross sort-of-maybe-a-sailboat
charter pigs I have seen out lately and also note VERY much faster cats and
tris exist that will never see a charter fleet*. I personally have been on a
Condor 40 trimaran sailing at 25 knots in armchair comfort.

*iron law of cat physics – a fast one is a dangerous one, idiot proof ones by
design are slower. Ours would have sucked in light air, but we didn’t really
have much light air.

Joe Della Barba

Coquina C&C 35 MK I

Kent Island MD USA