Richard,

I’ve never chartered a sailboat but I’ve worked at a bazillion boat shows and
the vast majority of new boat buyers are looking more towards interior space
rather than sail ability.  Perhaps the perception of owning a sailboat that
doesn’t heel over is a confidence builder.  I guess to the uninitiated they
appear to be less “claustrophobic” with wide open spaces everywhere on the boat
(ok, the berths can be rather tight on the smaller models, but no less so than
a quarter berth on a C&C 35).  Looking too at how the cats are laid out,
there’s push button EVERYTHING from sail trim to halyards, hydraulic steering
with no feedback.  Basically it’s a powerboat with a stick in the middle and a
large living room.  The further south you go, the greater the percentage of
Catamarans at the show, probably because it is hard to find slips up north that
are wide enough to accommodate a cat.

One of the best stories I have regarding folks checking out a catamaran at the
boat show went as follows: I was down below in one of the staterooms when a
couple looking at the boat came across one of the round escape ports on the
inboard side of one of the  hulls.  If you haven’t seen one, they’re designed
so if the boat capsizes and overturns while you’re in the hull, you can get out
through one of these waterproof hatches.   So the lady looking at the boat
asked her husband what the round window with the handles was for and the yacht
broker’s response was “It’s the washing machine…”..

That about says it all.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall