Last spring I had the mast down for the first time since I bought the boat,
One of the things I was planning to do was replace the sheaves.  I was able to
get the plates off with an impact driver, but I could not budge the sheaves.
Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of what it looked like with the plate
off, so I don’t remember what the problem was, but I had a small sledge hammer
and spike and could not budge it.  I should have posted at the time, but
sheaves seemed fine so I did not pursue it then.  Anyone had this problem?  Dave

> On Jan 31, 2021, at 11:25 AM, CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't try replacing mast head sheaves unless the mast was out and placed
> somewhere I could work on it safely.
> The mast head sheaves on my Offshore Spars mast ride on SS axles and they are
> captive inside the welded mast.  I had the mast pulled and did the following:
>
> Step 1: remove the halyards and rig pull strings.  (You will later need pull
> strings or halyards to hold the new sheave in position to insert the axle)
> Step 2: remove two screws holding on a SS plate that blocks the exit hole for
> the sheave axle on one side
> Step 3: use a small 3# sledge hammer and a 1/4" punch that fits into the
> little hole on the other side and drive out the axle
> Step 4: catch the sheave as it drops through the halyard exit slot when the
> axle is part way out.
>
> Install new sheaves following steps in reverse order.
>
> In my case the main halyard sheave rides alone on a 1/2" axle and two
> spinnaker sheaves ride on an axle and the jib halyard rides on it's own axle.
>  I can share pictures.
>
> Chuck Scheaffer Resolute 1989 C&C 34R

David Knecht
S/V Aries