I have a Broken ¼ - 20 broken carriage bolt with around 2 threads showing out
my transom.

1 ½” is embedded in epoxy. An easy-out seems unlikely.  I did four, three of
them unscrewed successfully, but apparently I didn’t coat this one thoroughly
enough with the Vaseline.

I am thinking that if I can heat the bolt up to around 300 degrees or so, it
will break the bond with the epoxy. A soldering iron seems *maybe* possible,
but that is only one side. I was wondering if I could heat it up, like plumbers
do with welders to melt frozen water lines, it might be an option.

But I don’t understand enough about electrical resistance to know how to go
about it. Using a battery for juice seems risky, having seen what happens when
I have shorted them out with a wrench –

I do have a 30 amp adjustable Powerwerks power supply, which seems a little
safer.

What I don’t understand, is if I can put a positive on one end of the bolt, and
negative on the other, will it heat the bolt, or will it just melt the
insulation off the wires? Or ruin the power supply? Or is it a factor of the
gauge of the wires?

Bill Coleman

Entrada, Erie, PA