This is an ongoing issue with racing, everything is W/L dinghy racing no matter
if your boat is 10 feet long or 110 feet long. Back in the day when men were
men and sheep were scared we used government marks and you got what you got,
reaches, beats, runs, whatever.
When I used to RC C&C races I decided dead downwind on a hot day was misery for
the white sail fleet, so the spinnaker boats went on a W/L course and the
non-spin fleet used the same windward mark but had an offset somewhere, say
beam reach to the offset and then broad reach to finish. Less tactics but less
heatstroke too!

Joe
Coquina