This debate has raged within Colorado Sail & Yacht Club for the last several
years.  The J/22 racers argue that the larger PHRF boats (spinnaker or not)
should sail windward/leeward courses like they do.  The larger PHRF boats
(including spinnaker boats) like reaching because that’s when they’re fastest.
And it’s not unusual for RC’s best-laid plans to be ruined by mother nature
(e.g. 180-degree wind shifts after a race has started on a course around fixed
buoys).

I conclude that a single rating number is a poor compromise across multiple
points of sail and a range of wind speeds - it’s like estimating a surface with
a point.  I win when it’s blowing hard, but get beat in light air by asym boats
on broad reach.  There’s no way a single number can equalize boats across all
possible courses and conditions.

So as an experiment we’ve done what Donald Kern mentioned in another reply -
sometimes we make the J/22s and Capri 22s sail triangles in addition to W/L,
and the larger PHRF boats sail W/L in addition to triangles, using long courses
that combine course types.  At the very least it gives us some empathy for each
other.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine