Set screws are a great idea for a drain.
That's why this list is so valuable.  So many different listers; so many
alternative ideas.

I'm going to try that idea.  Heretofore, I've always drilled the quarter inch
hole.  My rudder usually drips a few drops and stops, but It drips after a
heavy rain, so I am pretty sure the joint, where the shaft exits the top of the
rudder, leaks.  Drilling the hole is just insurance against ice expanding
inside and delamination.

Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Chesapeake Bay