Steven,

I did leave the old wood in there.  Was a decision I had to make and wasn't sure what was the best approach, but yes, I enclosed it with the pieces I installed.  I thought the fiberglass would be strong enough.  I didn't have a backing plate on the bolt, just the washer, but after I had the crunching of the wood I put one in temporarily, maybe that's was done on your boat also?

I just happened to do both the mast step and the bolt at the same time, I think you could do them separately but access to the bolt was probably a lot easier with the mast step removed.  I had my mast pulled to replace the step, but I've heard suggestions that you could just raise it up and block it from the deck, though I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that for any length of time.

Getting the wood of the step out was easy, a Sawzall did the trick. Getting something in was a lot more complicated as you cannot fit a wide enough board through the opening in the cabin sole.  I used a fiberglass cloth layup on a form across the bilge sump so I could get the cloth into the space, I think I used 27 layers in one rather long layup.  I'd be happy to go into more detail if you want to contact me offline.

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly, 35-1
Glen Cove NY