Agree with all you and Neil said except re-installing the little strip at
the forward end.  Personally, I'd epoxy it from underneath or fasten a
small piece of wood under the opening and bond the peice to it.  FYI, mine
has a small piece of wood bonded on the underside for the bilge plate screw
to thread into.

Ditto on just laying in a bunch of gass layers cut pretty much to length.
No need to tab significantly to the shoulder of the bilge.  I didn't use
any fibeglass boards.  Just used roving for the bottom layers and then
glass cloth for the last 4-5 layers.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA