From: Neil Gallagher via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 4:00 PM
To: steven.hickel--- via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Neil Gallagher <njgallag...@optonline.net>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Blocks under forward most keel bolt material?

Steven,

I did leave the old wood in there.  Was a decision I had to make and wasn't
sure what was the best approach, but yes, I enclosed it with the pieces I
installed.  I thought the fiberglass would be strong enough.  I didn't have
a backing plate on the bolt, just the washer, but after I had the crunching
of the wood I put one in temporarily, maybe that's was done on your boat
also?

I just happened to do both the mast step and the bolt at the same time, I
think you could do them separately but access to the bolt was probably a lot
easier with the mast step removed.  I had my mast pulled to replace the
step, but I've heard suggestions that you could just raise it up and block
it from the deck, though I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that for any
length of time.

Getting the wood of the step out was easy, a Sawzall did the trick.
Getting something in was a lot more complicated as you cannot fit a wide
enough board through the opening in the cabin sole.  I used a fiberglass
cloth layup on a form across the bilge sump so I could get the cloth into
the space, I think I used 27 layers in one rather long layup.  I'd be happy
to go into more detail if you want to contact me offline.

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly, 35-1
Glen Cove NY