Hello Mack,
I have a 1981 C&C 34 and those outboard vertical plates on the bulkheads
are stainless steel, not aluminum. I would be very skeptical if any of
those components have been replaced with aluminum.  These components attach
the deck to the bulkheads since to save cost (and allow the molded head
liner) the bulkheads were not tabbed in to the deck. I haven't had leaks
there on my boat at the point you describe (my genoa tracks seem well
sealed).  However, the windows are hard to seal and might be leaking and so
it is also possible that is where the water is coming from and then
dripping down to the bulkhead (I would say that is in fact a likely source
of water in that area). Of course also check that the bulkhead isn't
rotted. The plates on top of the metal poles close to the main traveler
also are a problematic leak point (for me on the starboard side a little
water drips down the inside of that tube and ends up under the stove). I
would agree that if the bulkhead is rotted beyond repair and needs to be
replaced that might be a deal breaker.

Regardless you definitely want to check the whole deck for soft spots -
around the head vent, chain plates and penetrations for the bulkhead
attachments were the main problems on my boat (where I replaced the core in
2020 - see https://photos.app.goo.gl/8W4AdgmKqKxARvsY7 if you are curious
about what I did).  All repairable but good to know what you are getting
into as it is a big project (I also glassed a lot of old holes that weren't
needed and rebedded almost all the deck hardware, replaced the fixed
windows, rebuilt the forward hatch, and added a bow roller and asym tack
point
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN46y4vVixlceiv3AjB6UPNMGJqgTuuwxos4pobHlp1XsBQnteV-IcwYMBlBfcjXw?key=aTVDcEFMX3dzVFVSeFZVY256WWs5bkYtSlpWM2hR
as part of the project).

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions on the boat.
Nathan
S/V Wisper
1981 C&C 34 KCB
Portland ME

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 1:33 PM Mack McKinney via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1980 C&C 34. I have yet to make
> an in-person inspection, as the boat is 4 hours away, but in pictures I
> notice attached to the partial bulkheads which separate the settees from
> the galley/nav area there are what appear to be chainplates.  Those
> aluminum plates are rather far aft for any standing rigging.  Their
> purpose, I reckon, is to reinforce the genoa track (correct me if I'm
> way off, and these are distinguished from the aluminum tubes which, I
> suppose, reinforce the mainsheet traveler.  So, here's my question:
> there is noticeable water incursion, as there is some streaking on the
> port bulkhead below the "chainplate." I assume I need to be prepared for
> deck core rot, and possible rot in the teak plywood of the bulkhead. The
> extent of any rot, if it requires the replacement of that bulkhead, may
> be a deal-breaker.  Thoughts? Am I on the right track?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mack
> Formerly C&C 30-104
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.