On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Parthasarathy, Balaji (BCS,
Cupertino, USA) <balaji.parthasara...@hp.com> wrote:

>>Help much appreciated...hopefully I'm just doing some stupid amateur mistake
>>thing!
>
> You probably need to setup the http proxy environment variable for yum to
> access external repos.

I believe this could be the case. I was actually looking at the wrong
error log before, the invalid repomd message occurred in the first
output, not the second. For the second, the message:

Error setting up repositories: Cannot retrieve repository metadata
(repomd.xml) for repository: f17-x86_64-everything. Please verify its
path and try again

is the important one. It would seem to indicate a connectivity issue.
As I said, try and run the reposync directly from the command line to
ascertain whether the issue is with cobbler or with the system
configuration overall. You can specify environment variables with
cobbler, so if you need to set a proxy you can do it there.