> I'm embarassed to admit that I don't understand what specific actions to
> take here.
>
> How do I run reposync directly on the command line? Do you mean this:
>
> cobbler reposync

No problem. Reposync is actually a CLI command, cobbler just manages
running it for you. From the log you sent, the command it runs is the
following:

/usr/bin/reposync -l -m -d
--config=/var/www/cobbler/repo_mirror/f17-x86_64-everything/.origin/f17-x86_64-everything.repo
--repoid=f17-x86_64-everything
--download_path=/var/www/cobbler/repo_mirror -a x86_64

> or do you mean some other command? I have been doing this from a terminal
> window all along. My installation of CentOS 6.2 on that machine is not
> X-based, there is no gui. I'm always in the shell.
>
> Does reposync need to have specific firewall ports open? That could be the
> issue.
>
> How do I set up an http proxy environment variable? I know so little of
> proxying that I am not sure why I may need this. The way this host is set
> up, it talks to the dns server (which is on the same host.) There is a
> second dns server on my network as well: it is at the gateway address, at
> 192.168.1.1. The gateway is a Verizon "FiOS" router which talks to the
> internet.
>
> So I wonder if I need to open firewall ports? Set up the http proxy? Or
> perhaps change something in the routing tables used by the gateway -- that
> is, the verizon FiOS box?

Yes, you will need to open up at least port 80 (maybe 443) outbound
from the server you're trying to do this from.