>  Honestly I think most people don't appreciate how much stuff you get
>  "for free" in Cocoa, but you learn pretty fast when you get to
>  reimplement it yourself! :)

  True, but there are many legitimate reasons not to use a standard
UI. FrontRow is a prime example of this. A kiosk application would be
another. If these are the kinds of things the OP interested in doing,
he should take a look at Quartz Composer. It would be far easier than
a straight shot of OpenGL for UI interaction.

  That said, this entire conversation would probably be far more
productive if the OP would explain what he means by "more clean
interface". What's wrong with a standard Cocoa interface for your
project? What IS your project? Be specific.

  If you're suggesting making a plain desktop application with a
completely nonstandard interface, you'll get little support here -
it's a very VERY bad idea and "more clean" is a poor excuse for doing
this. That's like creating a clunky Microsoft Access database as your
CRM system and claiming "because it's cleaner".

  ... right.

  Of course we don't know what the requirements are. You may have a
perfectly valid reason but customizing AppKit might be a perfectly
poor choice ... The best thing to do - as I said - is to explain what
you are trying to accomplish and why Cocoa UI isn't right for the
project. If you do that, list members can actually give meaningful
suggestions.

--
I.S.