On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:13 AM, I. Savant wrote:

 Of course we don't know what the requirements are. You may have a
perfectly valid reason but customizing AppKit might be a perfectly
poor choice ... The best thing to do - as I said - is to explain what
you are trying to accomplish and why Cocoa UI isn't right for the
project. If you do that, list members can actually give meaningful
suggestions.

Well said.

And, if choosing to do your own UI (I did this for my "math drills" app for kids), be aware that the following can add quite a bit of additional work:

- accessibility
- resolution independence
- potential need for IB palettes/plug-ins

These, and perhaps more I'm missing, are things you get for free when using the standard UI.