On Apr 1, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Ricky Sharp wrote:

On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:13 AM, I. Savant wrote:

Of course we don't know what the requirements are. You may have a
perfectly valid reason but customizing AppKit might be a perfectly
poor choice ... The best thing to do - as I said - is to explain what
you are trying to accomplish and why Cocoa UI isn't right for the
project. If you do that, list members can actually give meaningful
suggestions.

Well said.

And, if choosing to do your own UI (I did this for my "math drills" app for kids), be aware that the following can add quite a bit of additional work:

- accessibility
- resolution independence
- potential need for IB palettes/plug-ins

These, and perhaps more I'm missing, are things you get for free when using the standard UI.

Though you can get fairly simple "custom image" based buttons for free with the standard UI. Just set the image and alternate image, set the button to not be bordered, and set the behavior as desired (on/off, highlight, etc...).

This will give you the accessibility, resolution independence, and IB support automatically. Combine it with a custom window with an image background and no title-bar and you can get a simple "custom UI" with very little work.

Alternatively, you can work like Widgets do and use a WebKit view with the appropriate set of images (especially if you use SVG based images), JavaScript and CSS support to get a more complex custom UI with a bit more work, but still get some of the "free" benefits (or at least get those that web-pages have, such as resolution independence and at least some accessibility).

Now as to how appropriate it is to make your own customized UI, that's a different matter (though the general answer is "rarely, but there are special cases").

Glenn Andreas                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <http://www.gandreas.com/> wicked fun!
quadrium | prime : build, mutate, evolve, animate : the next generation of fractal art