Well, I'm glad I had an excuse to play around with Quartz Composer; I knew about it but had never spent any time with it, very cool! Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my immediate problem. As far as I can tell, compositions won't play streaming video at all. They work great with movies from files, and with local live sources (iSight, DV). But giving the "Image With Movie" patch an .sdp file just results in a static QuickTime logo, it never shows any actual video.

Now I have at least three different methods for adding overlays to pre-recorded video, but none of those seem able to deal with RTSP/RTP streaming video. I'm going out on a limb here and conclude this isn't just one or the other of the APIs having an issue, rather it is a fundamental limitation in QuickTime, which can't (or won't) break out individual frames for compositing when it is playing streaming video. There are still things I haven't tried (i.e. Core Animation), but unfortunately I'm out of time to spend on this. I have a stop- gap solution in the separate overlay window approach, which works on anything, the drawback being a lousy frame rate if the overlay is in motion. But it is better than nothing, and I can have my app use that only when it is playing streaming video, switching to one of the better methods for other sources.

Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions and help!

Bob