On Apr 24, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Uli Kusterer wrote:

Am 24.04.2008 um 22:14 schrieb Bob Smith:
In my case all I want to do is be able to add a scrolling text overlay to whatever video is being played. My app is an informational video kiosk display driver, it's meant to run mostly unattended from playlists of images and pre-recorded video, but with occasional scheduled live segments from streaming video cameras on the local network. I'll take a look at Core Animation, however one of my limitations is the app has to run under Tiger, and I thought most of the CA stuff was new to Leopard.

Have you considered rendering your text in a separate layer (not CA layer) on top of the movie? Several options:

1) borderless overlay window. Could be a child window if the window with the movie in it can be moved around, so they stick together. If your Macs are recent enough, the Quartz Compositing engine in Quartz Extreme will take care of using the GPU to composite the two windows on top of each other

2) IIRC movies can be rendered into OpenGL polygons. You could try doing that and then rendering your text into a separate OpenGL surface on top

3) I think QuickTime movies can contain layers, layered sprites etc. You might be able to modify the movie before playing it, adding such a track to it.

4) I think there's a sample on Apple's web site somewhere that draws pushbuttons etc. on top of a movie (or maybe it was an OpenGL scene?). Anyway, that approach might work for your movie, too.

Just some avenues to explore. HTH.

I did try the overlay window approach and the problem was performance on older G5 systems. I expected the GPU to take care of the compositing, but it seems as if the higher-level window gets rendered in software if the lower-level window is using OpenGL directly, which I assume is what QTMovieView is doing. The result was the video would play fine, but the frame rate on the scrolling text overlay was very low. It may work on a faster system or with a better graphics card; unfortunately this app has to run on older Macs.

But your other suggestions sound like good possibilities, I'll investigate those further.

Thanks!

Bob