On Apr 23, 2008, at 1:08 PM, douglas a. welton wrote:

Bob & Randall,

If all you want to do is slap some arbitrary text over a movie, I would suggest that you take a look at using QTMovieLayer and CATextLayer as the mechanism for doing this. I don't have any code that I can share with you on this, but a previous client project used these two Core Animation objects with excellent results.

regards,

douglas

I will look into that, because my problem isn't solved yet. I wasn't able to get my app working using the Core Video display link because QuickTime wouldn't give me new frames when it was playing live streaming video. However using the -view:willDisplayImage: delegate callback... doesn't work either, for the same reason! The delegate method works fine for video from a file, but it is _never_called_ when QuickTime is playing a live video stream. Anyone know what is going on here? Is this some sort of DRM nonsense to prevent us from capturing live streams?

In my case all I want to do is be able to add a scrolling text overlay to whatever video is being played. My app is an informational video kiosk display driver, it's meant to run mostly unattended from playlists of images and pre-recorded video, but with occasional scheduled live segments from streaming video cameras on the local network. I'll take a look at Core Animation, however one of my limitations is the app has to run under Tiger, and I thought most of the CA stuff was new to Leopard.

Thanks to all for your help.

Bob