I think one of the issues here is you're comparing .NET - which is not the primary Windows framework - to Cocoa - which is. They are comparable and many people do compare them, but truthfully most commercial software on Windows will not be written with .NET while most on OS X will be Cocoa.

.NET is pushed by Microsoft for IT apps and custom apps, not for commercial apps even though there are some. I have used .NET and really really like it, but I simply view Cocoa and .NET as two frameworks for different purposes. Yes, Cocoa can be used for custom IT apps much like .NET, but .NET is optimized for that purpose.

That is why if I want to customize the UI or behavior more in .NET its harder to do than in MFC or plain Win32, while building a completely standard boring app is easier in .NET by far. Its why .NET hides so much from the programmer, and why Cocoa doesn't. Cocoa is an OO version of Win32 in conception (not by any other comparison) because Windows *runs* on Win32 and the vast majority of commercial apps are in Win32 C/C++ with MFC or native code and the same can be said for Cocoa and OS X. As such, with it being the primary OS framework/API, it has to allow the developer easier access to the nitty gritty.

So Obj-C/Cocoa is more elegant than Win32, MFC, and .NET. So .NET is easier in a few ways. I don't think any of that is a negative towards the other frameworks. Just remember their purpose.

Well, except that this would generally be implemented by the
framework, no?

In .NET, it supports remote invocations, and this uses (in part)
reflection, but the application writer never needs to know the gory
details.  I agree that reflection is slightly more awkward than
what's been presented in terms of Objective-C's message paradigm, and
I accept that as a benefit for the authors of the framework.  But the
end-user doesn't need any of this, or even need to care how it's
implemented.  Imposing a particular language on the end-user in order
to support the framework author doesn't seem compelling to me.
Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Central Texas Microsoft Certified Partner

"There will always be death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year."
-- Anonymous