On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Sherm Pendley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Charles Srstka
>
>> when building against the 10.4u SDK (if I were building against the 10.5
>> SDK, I'm sure it would link against libcurl.4.dylib and not work with Tiger
>> anymore).
>
> That's why (well - one reason why) you need to use the SDK that
> corresponds to the oldest version of Mac OS X on which your app will
> run. If you use a newer SDK, the symlink will resolve differently and
> you'll end up linking to a library that isn't available on older OS
> versions.

BTW, I realize that this is not the "right" way to use SDKs. The
"right" way is linking against the latest SDK, and setting your
deployment target to the oldest OS version you want to support. Sadly,
ld doesn't understand deployment targets, and creates needless
dependencies on the latest version of dylibs that use versioned file
names and a symlink for the "main" dylib.

Also, while the "right" way does give you the ability to check for
weak-linked symbols and such, many (if not most) of the newer features
such as Core Data or Core Animation are so extensive that such
simplistic checks won't allow an app that uses them to run on older OS
releases anyway.

sherm--