On 11 Jun '08, at 6:20 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

For such 'standard' libraries, the usual recommendation is to not add them to the project at all, but to add them to the 'Other Linker flags' in the target. For libzlib, you would use -lz

Really? I've never heard that. I find it more convenient to use the GUI.

I think the reason for this is to avoid hard-coded dependancies on a particular version of the library.

You can avoid that by adding the library file that doesn't have a version number in it, i.e. "libz.dylib" not "libz.1.2.3.dylib". This is a symlink that always points to the current version, and it's the same file the linker would use if you added "-lz".

(Xcode used to have a bug where if you did this it would "helpfully" resolve the symlink and actually add the specific version file; but that's been fixed for years.)

—Jens