I am creating an application that requires multiple “modal” windows.  There
is a “main” window, and there are multiple other windows that can be
displayed from the main window (using a toolbar, buttons, etc.).  These
“other” windows need to be modal, that is these windows must receive all
user input, and be closed before returning to the “main” window.  These are
important windows with many controls, and not simple dialogs.  I have all of
the “bits and pieces” of this app working quite well, and I am having some
difficulty tying it all together with the GUI.

I do understand that there are many [very different] ways to accomplish
this, but being new to Cocoa, I want to make sure that I choose a sound
technique.  Reading the user interface guidelines, I understand that all of
these windows should be in separate NIB files, and loaded as needed for
performance reasons.

1.      What is the best way to instantiate the “other” windows?  In this
application, all of the windows are quite unique, and there will never be
more than one instance of each.  Should this be done in the “main”
controller by loading the NIB, instantiating the other controller, and then
showing the window?
2.      I would think that this is a common application architecture (it is to
me), however have not been able to find any sort of examples, in print or on
the web.  Is anyone aware of any that you could direct me to, no matter how
simplistic?

Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction here.
Matt