Am 17.06.2008 um 23:41 schrieb Matthew Youney:
The structure, documentation of Cocoa, as well as observation of this forum has helped me to evolve (clean up) my OI technique, and hopefully take my
code to the next level.  Although I have always been a very "hardware
oriented" programmer, and I am enjoying this experience.  A bit of a
learning curve, but anything worth doing...

It might help to get in touch with someone who does contract work and has a good sense of Mac UI and, even more important, great User Interaction Design skills. There are many subtle ins-and-outs to the Mac UI, and often several ways to achieve certain things, and having someone already familiar with the platform on call can help a great deal.

Of course, you'd have to educate the Mac programmer about the actual (high-level) constraints you're facing, but it would be a great help. E.g. if you're doing a touchscreen UI, it may be worth investigating resolution independence: you can simply switch one user defaults key in your app to magnify all controls, which will look better than laying out your UI larger, because the button corners and shadows etc. will get scaled up, too.

Similarly, there are various kiosk modes, ways of hiding the menu bar (this kinda overlaps, but obviously not quite), and other conventions.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de