> On Feb 11, 2016, at 4:11 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ideally, I would like to bind from IB the selection of the TreeController to
>> the local variable, but I cannot find a way to do this. Is this possible?
>
> It’s not clear what you’re saying.
>
> Or are you saying you’re currently observing the tree controller’s
> “selectionIndexPaths” *property* (not *binding*) using KVO or something else,
> and *that’s* what’s clunky?

Hi Quincey
I see your source of confusion… did not do a very good job explaining the model
and the interface.

OK… Using Swift and StoryBoards.

The interface consists of 2 textViews and 1 outlineView. Lets call the one
textView “source”, and the other “pattern”.
The model represents regex matches found in the “source” textView by a regex in
the “pattern” textView.
The model is pretty straight forward, with properties, including one “range”
property representing a “match”
The outline view represents the model, after it is suitably parsed and
implemented as an array.
A tree controller is bound to the array, and the columns of the outline view,
representing various aspects of the model, are bound through the tree
controller. (There is a column for the “textual” match, a column for the
position  and a column for the length of the match in the source.)

Goal.  Highlight the matches in the source textview as the user selects a row
in the outline View.

Currently, it is  implement as follows.  Create an outlet for the tree
controller, (in this case,  in my viewController). Here  the treeController’s
selection.(in this case, range property) is programmatically bound  to a local
variable, which uses the property observers of Swift ( willSet and newValue) to
call a function which highlights the selected text in the “source”

Ideally, I would like to omit the outlet/programmtically binding steps and bind
the treeControllers selection in IB to my local variable. So, the “clunkiness”
was a referral to the outlets and programmatic binding. However, I am unable to
find a “selection” binding in IB that would make it possible.
Hope that makes sense.